Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Valentine's King Cake


I am not a baker!  I will be the first to say that I enjoy cooking, making up recipes that are not always good, and that I want to make things that fall into the categories of "homemaker" "fun mom" and "unrealized chef".  But baking...that's a different domain!  I could only hope to approach that level of cooking skill.

Nevertheless, I have thought of a way to make King Cake with some shortcuts.  I've discussed previously how much I like Puff Pastry (My Ingredient Staples). It is so easy to use and yummy too!  I decided to try a King Cake with it.

Puff Pastry King Cake

Recipe:
1 box Puff Pastry (this includes 2 pastry sheets), thawed
1 8 oz package Cream Cheese
1 cup Powdered Sugar (plus a little more for glaze topping)
juice and zest of 1/2 a Lemon
about 1/2 cup Strawberry Preserves or Jam
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Egg, beaten for the egg wash
about 1 tablespoon Milk (for glaze topping)



Instructions:
1. Beat the Cream Cheese, Powdered Sugar and Juice and Zest of the Lemon.
2.  Spread the Cream Cheese mixture over each sheet of Puff Pastry.
3.  Sprinkle with about a teaspoon per pastry sheet of Ground Cinnamon.
4.  Spread a thin layer of Strawberry Preserves or Jam over the cream.  
5.  Roll each pastry and form the shape of a heart.
6.  Brush over with an egg wash.
7.  Bake in the oven on 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. 



A simple glaze consists of about 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar, about a tablespoon of Milk and a drop or two Red Food Coloring.


So where are you this Marti Gras season?  You might live close to New Orleans or not.  But we can all agree, no matter where we live, that there are many wonderful recipes to be enjoyed this time of year.  Try a King Cake with some shortcuts and celebrate the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment