Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Curry Chicken Salad




I get really excited and inspired by all things international!  Something I enjoy doing on this blog and in my kitchen, is adding Asian and Mediterranean twists to deep South cooking.  The object of my innovation today is chicken salad.

Who in the South doesn't love a nice beige blob of creamy, mayonnaise-y chicken salad?  It's a completely delightful Southern staple!  My favorite version includes pecans and red grapes.  Being the Southern Belle that I am (ha!), I have sampled many a chicken salad recipe and would consider myself (as well as any other Southern gal) somewhat of a connoisseur!

You really can't improve the delicious, classic recipe of chicken salad...and I'm not trying to.  I just felt inspired to try a different version of it.  I incorporated my favorite warm Indian flavors, which give it a lovely flavor as well as an eye-pleasing golden color.




Curry Chicken Salad

Recipe:
2 Chicken Breasts (cooked)
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
2 Celery Sticks (chopped)
1/2 cup Sliced Almonds (toasted)
1/2 cup Dried Apricots (chopped)
1 small Apple (peeled and chopped)
1 teaspoon Curry Powder
1 teaspoon Coriander
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
Cayenne Pepper for dusting the top
Method:
1.  In a food processor, pulse the chicken until ground.
2.  Transfer ground chicken to a medium-sized bowl and add all other ingredients except for cayenne pepper.
3.  Stir until blended and serve dusted with cayenne pepper.
*Note:  This is great to make ahead.  Store in a covered container in the fridge overnight for flavors to meld.


I have an extreme obsession with England.  Anglophile?  Is that the phrase?  Yes, I'm one of those.  My very first experience with Indian Curry was in London (my favorite place in the universe), at an authentic Indian restaurant. Curry is a very popular flavor over there. So that is the main reason I like to add it to so many recipes. Ha!  Indian flatbread or Naan was also present at that momentous, life-changing occasion.  I served my curry chicken salad with homemade Naan.



Here is a great recipe for it, if you would like to get adventurous and try it too: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/naan/   
I was a little nervous about making it. But it was much easier than I thought it would be.  So go for it!



I hope I've inspired you to get creative with different flavors and to turn classic Southern favorites into something new and fresh.  Happy cooking, curry-style!  -1CC

















No comments:

Post a Comment