Search This Blog

Friday, June 30, 2017

A Healthier Mexican Fix



I recently had the privilege of tasting a brand new product from a Memphis-based company called Tom's Tiny Kitchen.  They are known for their pimento cheese, but have very recently expanded to cheese dips.  They have three delicious flavors: Chipotle Bacon, Spicy Thai and Classic White.  These dips are now available in the deli section of Krogers all over Mississippi and I suggest you try them out very soon!!  For more information, click here: http://www.tomstinykitchen.com

Of course these dips are fabulous with chips, cold or hot!  My family and I can't stop dipping our tortilla chips!  But you know me...I love to be inspired by an ingredient and create a recipe around that flavor.  Today, I was thinking a healthier spin on the classic Mexican restaurant cheesy rice dish would be the perfect cloudy day comfort food.





Everyone has their preferences when it comes to veggies.  So take this idea and create your own masterpiece!  Today, the blend I used was kale, zucchini, orange bell pepper, onion and garlic with Tom's Classic White cheese dip.  You'll find my recipe below.




Tom's Cheesy Veggie Rice

Recipe:
1 cup (uncooked) rice
1/2 Onion
1 clove Garlic
1 Zuchini
1/2 Orange Bell Pepper
handful Fresh Kale
1/4 cup Tom's Tiny Kitchen Classic White Cheese Dip
1 teaspoon Cumin
juice of 1 Lime
Salt and Pepper to taste
Method:
1.  Cook the rice according to package instructions.  I would recommend getting a rice cooker.  Mine makes my life so much easier!  It's great for couscous and quinoa too!
2.  Chop all the veggies and mince the garlic.
3.  Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic.  Cook for about 5 minutes.
4.  Add all the other veggies, the cumin, lime juice and salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
5.  Add the cooked rice and cheese dip to the veggie mixture and stir everything together until just combined.  Add any more salt, pepper, cumin or lime juice that is needed for a flavor that suits you.
6.  Serve immediately and enjoy a Mexican restaurant style night in!


As always, I love to share ideas I have in the hopes of inspiring you to get creative in the kitchen.  Today's recipe is quick, easy and comforting.  I can't say it's necessarily diet-friendly, but it is a way to add more servings of vegetables to your day.  I would love for you to share your version of this recipe and others!  Contact me any time and be sure to follow 1cookingchick on Instagram for daily food inspiration!  Love to all!  1CC


No comments:

Post a Comment