Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Approachable Petits Fours!

Ever been intimidated by Petits Fours?  I know I have!  If you read my blog often, you know I have a love/hate relationship with baking.  I've been known to make some hideous chocolate chip cookies.  But, if there is a recipe for a baked item that actually works for me, I will use it over and over.

I didn't feel great today.  Just felt kind of stressed out and headachey.  There are not many things you can do when you have a headache.  I love to read, but that was a negative.  I'm not good at napping during the day.  I had already gotten my workout in.  So while the kids were napping, I decided to bake.  For some reason this idea just came to me, and I was too excited not to share it with you right away!


Cake Mix Petits Fours 
with Lemon Glaze
What you will need:
1 box White Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
3 Eggs
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Water
about 2-3 Cups Confectioner's Sugar
3-4 Lemons
What you do:
1.  Prepare the Cake in a flat cake pan, by the instructions on the box.  This is where you will use the eggs, oil and water.
2.  In a medium bowl, mix 2 cups Confectioner's Sugar with the juice and zest of 1-2 Lemons.  Use your judgement on this step.  Add Lemon Juice and Sugar as needed to make the amount you would like and to achieve the consistency that is best.  You don't want it too dry or too runny.

3.  After the cake has cooled, turn it out onto a cutting board and using a serrated knife, cut into small squares.
4.  Place on a decorative tray, or in a large flat tupperware and top with the glaze.
5.  Thinly slice another lemon and cut each slice into fourths.  Top each cake with a tiny lemon wedge.
*Note: You might can tell these are smaller than the first picture.  I sliced the cake cubes in half through the middle to make the petits fours smaller and cuter.


This might not be a totally original idea.  However, it is new to me.  I enjoyed making these and my headache is feeling a bit better now.  I think this idea would be a quick but lovely snack for a baby or wedding shower.  The recipe made a lot.  So I'm going to give some to neighbors and participants of my Bodyflow class tomorrow.  Baking as headache therapy!  Have you ever heard of such?  

No comments:

Post a Comment