Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Bookie Cookies


The kids and I had a fun and unexpected cooking moment together this morning.  We read the book "A Cow, a Bee, a Cookie and Me" by Meredith Hooper.  We always have a huge stack of books checked out from the Birmingham Public Library System.  This was just one I happened to pick up at some point.  It's about a boy named Ben who is baking with his grandma.  They talk about where each of the ingredients for Honey Cookies come from as they are making them...honey from bees, butter from cows, etc.  At the end, the recipe is included.  So when we reached the end of the book, I thought "why not?"

 Time for a kid-friendly cooking adventure!  Get ready for a mess!
I think their favorite part of cooking was tasting everything!


I've mentioned before that I'm not an excellent baker.  Especially with cookies.  Mine just never turn out looking right.  However, this recipe was baking-impaired-friendly.  It turned out great!  The cookies turned out looking like cookies!!

My husband would say, "That bowl is in a precarious position!" ha!


Some advice I have for you when you make these is to make sure that your butter is at least room temperature.  Foolishly, I put mine straight from the fridge into the mixing bowl.  As I mixed it with the electric mixer, I got pelted with little butter/sugar bullets and made a mess in my kitchen. Ha!  Like I said, not the best baker!  I'm the one who messed the kitchen up, not the kids!
Cold butter mixed with sugar would make a great weapon!  Yikes!


Honey Bookie Cookies

After mixing the batter, form it into small balls and roll in a sugar/cinnamon mixture.  That was my daughter's favorite step

          Before baking...                                                                        ...after.
 

And here's the recipe straight from the book:





A direct quote from my 3-year-old son, "These are the best cookies I ever put in my mouth!  These are the best cookies ever!"  He is a very expressive child.  He inherited that from me.  We get really really excited and enthusiastic about the little things! :)
Kids hard at work in the kitchen!  My dream come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment