Search This Blog

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Strawberry Ricotta Scones with Essence of Lime and Mint



Inspiration happened to me this weekend...in the form of a community strawberry picking, pancake eating, beautiful weather morning!  I live in a very inspiring town called Tupelo, MS...the birthplace of Elvis Presley if you didn't know!  There are so many unique and creative happenings in our city.  I can't help but write and cook about this glorious Saturday morning I spent in a strawberry patch, picking ripe red berries and indulging in a fine breakfast treat.




My friends, Will and Amanda Reed run Native Son Farm.  It is a twenty acre, multi-location farm, that grows seasonal fruits and vegetables with the intent of feeding our community.  You can sign up for a crop share knowing that your food will be free from chemicals, synthetic pesticides and herbicides.  Other events they host are honey harvesting and tomato tasting.  For more information, go to www.nativesonfarm.com.




Chefs from my favorite local restaurant, Kermit's Outlaw Kitchen,,,affectionately known as KOK, fried up stacks of pancakes in the strawberry field.  They offered a lovely strawberry topping for the cakes, fresh mint lemonade and coffee punch.  Long tables topped with farmhouse tablecloths lined the edge of the crops.  Families and friends gathered round to dine and socialize in the fresh air and sunshine.






So naturally, I was inspired to give you an original recipe that captures the essence of my lovely morning!  I wanted to do a breakfast treat because I was inspired by a breakfast event.  My family enjoys pastries that are not overly sweet, so that is why I chose scones.  We think that moist pastries are much better than dry, so ricotta cheese was the way to go.  I love the fresh flavors of lime and mint leaves and they reminded me of the visual experience of Native Son crops.  Therefore, Strawberry Ricotta Scones with essence of Lime and Mint were born.






Strawberry Ricotta Scones 
with Essence of Lime and Mint


Recipe:
2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1 heaping tablespoon Lime Zest
1 stick Unsalted Butter (cold)
1 large Egg (beaten)
1/2 cup Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
3 tablespoons Half n Half
1 to 2 cups Fresh Strawberries (diced)
Glaze:
1/2 cup Confectioner's Sugar
the juice of 1 Lime
5 Mint Leaves (finely chopped)
Instructions:
1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and lime zest.
3.  Cut the butter into tiny cubes and work into the mixture with your hands until it looks like a coarse meal.
4.  In a smaller bowl, whisk the egg, ricotta cheese and half n half.  Add to the flour and butter mixture and use a fork to stir together until moistened.
5.  Add the diced strawberries and fold into the mixture with a spatula.  Apply pressure to the fruit to release the juices into the dough.
6.  Turn the dough out onto a clean, floured work surface.  Shape the dough into a flat circle and cut into 8 wedges.  (I wanted mine smaller, so I cut each of these wedges in half)
7.  Carefully transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.  (I wanted mine soft and moist, so I baked for only 15 minutes)
8.  While scones are baking, prepare the glaze.  Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
9.  Drizzle the lime mint glaze over the strawberry scones and serve warm (with coffee).



Not many things inspire me more than cooking with fresh and natural ingredients.  I would encourage you to go out and find your closest source of organic foods.  My goal is to inspire you to create something amazing in your kitchen!  Let me know what you imagine!  Love to all, 1cookingchick.


















No comments:

Post a Comment