Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Greek Beet Salad



If you are familiar with my blog, you know that I'm a big fan of Beets.  I feel confident that I'm doing something good for my body when I eat any deep-colored vegetable.  I don't mind the flavor, but I do admit it can be a bit earthy.  And I know some people may not prefer it.  Therefore, I enjoy thinking of recipe ideas that add flavor and excitement to this super healthy, cancer-fighting food.

My latest pregnancy craving is all things Greek.  I had some beets, cucumbers and feta cheese in the fridge that I wanted to use.  One small note about that...any time you mix beets with a pale-colored food, there will be pink staining.  This might seem odd to some people.  But as it turns out, pink food can be delicious!  Ha!


Greek Beet Salad

Recipe:
2 large Beets (boiled until soft and chopped)
1 large Cucumber (peeled, seeded and chopped)
1 handful fresh Basil (chopped)
1 container Feta Cheese
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 clove minced Garlic
salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
1.  Peel and then boil the beets until soft and tender.  
2.  Once the beets have been cooled and chopped into bite-size pieces, mix with the cucumber (also chopped), basil and feta cheese.
3.  In a measuring cup, blend the oils, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper and pour over the salad.
4.  Toss all ingredients together and serve immediately, or after refrigerating.  





Introducing Cotopaxi!

Cotopaxi is a company founded on making a difference, moving people to do good, and inspiring new adventures.  They help to spread the word of the World Health Organization's awareness and prevention tactics for various health concerns around the world.  They have asked me to contribute my "Health Hacks" to inspire my readers to pursue healthy living.  This beet salad is my latest health hack, because it is a way to make an ultra-nutritious food ultra tasty!  If you're interesting in learning more about Cotopaxi, check out the video below.














No comments:

Post a Comment